Friday, January 11, 2008

Immaculate Conception Chapel, St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center

Through a serendipitous chain of events, I was at St. Vincent's in time for Mass, today. Needless to say, I have a lot of pictures to post in the next few days.
The only thing I can say about the place is that it's absolutely magnificent. Of course, I'll be saying more tomorrow, when hopefully, my knees feel less ready to explode.
After Mass, I had a nice talk with Fr. Francis Ejimofor, the chaplain, and with Stan Schneider, the sacristan. They were even kind enough to leave the lights on while they went to lunch, so I could take as many pictures as I could.
Fr. Francis agreed that it's very rare for a hospital chapel to be the size of a full church.
More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

People often forget that there was a time that the good sisters who served the hospital (Sisters of Mercy???) and a whole slew of nursing students crammed into this chapel daily!

IT was large for a reason - they needed the room!