Tuesday, April 29, 2008

St. Pius X

The exterior's utilitarian, without being boring. I like the idea of placing the church in the middle of the school, rather than off to one side. Keeps the priorities straight, as well as giving the building a balanced appearance.
I'm not sure how the lighting effect around the crucifix is done, but it works very well. By the way, the easel was there for the retreat, so it's not a regular feature.
Now I remember how I made the Morse/Morris mistake in yesterday's post. I was thinking of the line from William Morris. Something about having only things you "know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." It sort of sums up my reaction, and reinforces my notion that the place is like the better sort of monastic chapel.

Whoever does the landscaping is an artist.
Another statue of my confirmation patron. This one's outside the school gymnasium.

1 comment:

irene said...

Sorry, Jeffrey, I can't agree with you on this one. And this would be my parish if I still lived in the old house in Toledo.