Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Thought

In case you haven't noticed, I have a great respect for the long tradition of the Church. I tend to think we'd be better off with the Tridentine Mass. But I love the Novus Ordo, as well. ( Some of the ways it's been abused are a different story. ) I prefer churches that look like churches, not meeting rooms. I want our churches to be worthy of the title House of God. It isn't really all that hard to achieve.
In the last fifty years, the quality of church design has taken a nose-dive. Praise God, that's changing. I look forward to that change continuing.
The Diocese of Toledo has many beautiful old churches. I want to do everything I can to make sure that fact is recognized. The Diocese also has many beautiful newer churches. That needs to be recognized, as well. Every time I comment on a church, I try to find something good to say. Something to encourage. Only once, have I failed. Considering the horror stories I've heard from elsewhere, we're doing pretty well. Just remember this. When I criticize, I do it with a recognition that we need to strive, within the norms, ( It's the departures from those norms that I criticize. ) to make every parish church a place of beauty and a worthy House of God.

No comments: