Wednesday, December 20, 2006

St. James, on Colburn

This one had to be closed, but its memory lives on in the Old South End. The altar and a fine statue of St. James have been moved to Immaculate Conception, where they're treasured. I understand why parishes have to be closed now and then. It's a difficult and painful decision, like so many things in life. One thing, though. Even though I'm a staunch preservationist, when a parish is closed, I'd rather see the building torn down. It just doesn't seem right to put them to other uses.

2 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Jeffery,

"It just doesn't seem right to put them to other uses."

What about if they can be used as a church by another denomination?

I feel that would still be a suitable reuse.

Jeffrey Smith said...

I'm afraid that was what I was talking about. To me, it's still a desecration.