Wednesday, May 7, 2008

St. Bernard, New Washington

This one's from the 1920's.
From 1944. You'll notice they replaced the side altars. I'd guess the statues are a Pieta and the death of St. Joseph. The stencilling has been painted over. Unfortunate, but you have to admit it's a bear to maintain. The fan-shaped canopy on the ambo's gone, too, and it looks like a couple angels have been added. Actually, I like it better this way.
First Communion in the 1890's. This one makes me curious about the capitals on those pilasters.
A close-up of the altar, taken in the 1990's. I'd love to get a closer look at those statues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeffrey - this is my mother-in-law's hometown parish (their present parish is St. Joseph, Tiffin). When I was last at New Washington St. Bernard's a few years ago, it was still very beautiful and well-cared for. There are a lot of lovely memories there, and I will be sure that she sees your posting. - Susan

Brad said...

This church was actually renovated in 2015 to reflect what it looked like in the earlier 1900's. It looks much more beautiful than it did previously