One of Carl Schon's designs, St. Mary's was built from 1854 to 1856. The 225-foot spire was added in 1866. It was the tallest tower in Toledo, at the time. The cross alone was 16 feet tall. Behind it, stood the parish house, built in 1879, then the school, built in 1874.
The interior, shown at the top right, was supposedly Toledo's biggest room. It may have been too big, since structural problems resulted in the church's demolition in the 1930's. Some of the bricks were used in construction at the Toledo Zoo.
The parish house lasted until 2001, when it was torn down for no blasted sensible reason at all.
The complex stood on Cherry Street, at Michigan.