Wednesday, March 28, 2007

St. Alphonsus, Peru

I've posted pictures of the exterior of St. Alphonsus before. It's a very simple, but dignified, structure. The interior isn't quite so simple, and it has some interesting details. Notice the vaulting. It's almost a stalactite effect. Never saw that in such a small church. Good windows, good statues. If that white object at the far left is the font, it looks like an impressive one. The altars have, obviously, been redone at some time, but they were done very well. Overall, it's a good design and worthy of one of the diocese's most historically important parishes.
My thanks to Alex Fries for the picture. More will follow.

3 comments:

Pro Ecclesia said...

Wow! I never knew. You'd never know from the outside that it looks like that on the inside.

My kids go to Vacation Bible School at St. Alphonsus, but I had only been in their education building, never inside the church itself.

By the way, there is a St. John Neumann connection with St. Alphonsus (our deanery is the "St. John Neumann Deanery"). The guys who are currently renovating our bathroom are parishioners there, and I asked them what the connection was. They said he was a parish priest at St. Alphonsus at one time.

Jeffrey Smith said...

Amazing, isn't it?
As I recall, the saint was there for a few months in 1840 or 1841. I did a short post on it a good while ago, but have another in the planning stage, thanks to our young photographer friend.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I like the stalactite effect; it works!