Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sacred Heart, East Toledo

I don't know what those Toledo church architects were drinking back around, say 1880 to 1910, but it certainly made them inventive. Wouldn't mind sampling it myself. Send a few cases to Duncan Stroik, out at Notre Dame, to distribute to his students.
Here's a case in point. It's completely out of the ordinary. Look at the upper parts of those towers. That arrangement of a semi-circular gable with subsidiary turrets at the corners is something I've never seen before. And those pointy domes! It's all downright weird, but it works. The whole thing is like something out of the best sort of fantasy novel. Then, he went on to throw in that central spire. Breaks every rule in the book but it looks wonderful. I have to go have a better look, when the weather improves. The arch over the main door looks very well done. The interior suffered after a fire, but there's a lot of good left in it. Remarkable building!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The interior has been thoroughly modernized recently. The altar has been moved into the middle of the church and set on a grey marble platform. The result is a cold mix of painted over gothic and modern utilitarianism. The workmanship is good but the result is very cold.

Jeffrey Smith said...

I'd heard about that, but I'm waiting for a picture before I mention it.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I don't know why, but looking at it I'm thinking Pythian.

No direct resemblance, but still...

Anonymous said...

Jeffrey Smith, if you're an architecture student, and Duncan Stroik is your architecture prof at Notre Dame, a trip to Germany could help you understand the logic and practices that the Sacred Heart builders, the Comte and Kesting Families, brought to America with them.
My Grandfather was an original member of Sacred Heart Parish, even before the present-day church was built.
I'm glad I chaired a parish council meeting twenty years ago. The Pastor was about to award a contract to a premiere Toledo roofing company to replace the original slate roof with asphalt shingles! I hollered "Whoa, give me two weeks", which he did.
Knowing that most of the roofs at Notre Dame are slate (I'm a 1949 alum), I called the maintenance super there and at Ohio State. Both suggested I contact the man who mothballed Chicago's Navy Pier. Ultimately, he inspected the roof, and said it only needed new flashing to correct pinholes in the original copper.
My concern is: How many priests, unknowingly instigate expensive obsolesence?
Jeffrey, I know you'll look at the big picture, and help the cause! OK? (:-)

Jeffrey Smith said...

You make some good points. Let me mull that over and it may be good for a post.
I've never been to Notre Dame, though, and Stroik wasn't even a teacher yet when I was last in college.