Thursday, September 6, 2007

St. Aloysius, Bowling Green

I remembered St. Aloysius as being very good. On closer examination, magnificent would be a better word.
The lavishly carved porch, alone, would make it a masterpiece, but the architect didn't stop there. The rose window, though small, is done in a unique manner. The bands of decorative brickwork and inlaid tile are a perfect addition. And who would have thought of hanging lanterns from chains that long?
The belfry and chimney are noticable from a distance. That's how I first found the place. When I see a chimney like that sticking up over the trees, from three blocks away, I know there's something worth a walk.
The tile roof, in a variety of colors, seems to have been inspired by the Cathedral. St. Aloysius was built in 1924, during the construction of the Cathedral.
I've never seen buttresses that big, on a fairly small building.
The interior is very good, as well, though I wasn't able to get in, yesterday.
There'll be detail photographs posted over the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The brickwork and inlaid tile is beautiful. I'm looking forward to the rest of the pictures.