Saturday, July 4, 2009

Corpus Christi University Parish

I seem to have forgotten to post any of my pictures from Corpus Christi, so I'll start by getting this one out of my system. They seem rather proud of it, though I've no idea why? It's meant to represent the soon-to-be Bl. John Henry, Cardinal Newman. Frankly, the artist might have done better by sticking to Alfred E. Newman. The pose looks like a Victorian spinster addressing a temperance rally, and every bit as lifeless.

Just because the medium is wood, doesn't mean the facial expression needs to be so...er, wooden.
This is, in my opinion, the worst statue in any Catholic church in Toledo, and yes, that includes the old "plaster saint" variety. They're, at least, honest.
BTW, if you're curious about my reaction to the church, I'll give you the short form and post more pictures some other time. The building's magnificent, the Sacrament Chapel is a gem, the artwork is a mixture of good, bad, and inappropriate, and the "worship space" is badly organized.

No comments: